Thursday, March 02, 2006

 
I just came from dinner. We went to an Indian place with Zhongren(he goes by the name Arnold here in the US) and Brian.

I'll write about Brian later, he is a very nice guy too. Now I mostly want to tell you about Arnold.

Mom has seen Arnold. He is my superwiser. I think he is my only chinese friend. I have got to know a few chinese people seen I moved to the US but most of them were not very sociable (except two people at UCLA that we used to have lunch sometime)
Arnold talks about polytics a lot, which I enjoy very much. Through him I have learnt a lot about China.
He thinks that people in China don't follow the rules much when they drive, which is prety strange to me! (I should double check this information with other people.)

One day I was asking him if there is freedom of speech in China and he said yes. Then I asked what kinds of stuff people publish again the government. You know what he respond ? He said oh no they can't publish anything against the government but if like you and talking, you talk against the government nobody question you!! (what kind of freedom of speech is that?!)
I was thinking at least you can publish and if it is too exterem then they take you to the court. (actually right now I am not sure if letting you publish something and then put you in jail for that is better than not letting you publish at the first place or not?!)

One of Behnam coleagues whos wife is chinese introduced us to The Epoch Times. Reading some of the articles I think it is basically the newspaper of chinese people who don't live in China. Mostly they are against the communist party in China.
Arnold thinks that the chines government is not communist like the previous USSR. He thinks that the government is the continuation of the previous kingdoms that do not accept any opposition. He thinks that the society is not ready for a democracy like the US. If it wants to be more democratic it will be like the southern America countries with their corrupt governments.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?